Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Slammin', Jammin', and Romancin' in Miami!


The allure of Miami in spring and Romance Slam Jam's (RSJ) natural appeal was too much for those that wanted a bit of sunshine this time of the year in 2007. This year was the 12th anniversary of this conference and Miami had it's moment to shine. I spoke to a few that informed me that they had a good time and truly enjoyed themselves. Albeit, the trip back home for many wasn't pleasant having to sit long hours waiting to get out of the city, and for connecting flights back home.

This year's RSJ lacked many of the amenities and sheer vivacity of past Slam Jams, but Terry McMillan was in the house, and her allure was just as captivating as her reputation assured. Though not a romance writer, it mattered not as she talked like the veteran writer she is! Notwithstanding, when given the opportunity to make the best of what Miami had to offer though, the conference survived! I must give the host committee shout outs because they did a great job based on several things out of their control. They were able to plug holes, stop leaks, and basically go on as planned wearing smiles accordingly. New on the scene and with a greater degree of success was vendor Deborah Owsley, she of SIMPLY SAID fame who interacted with the authors selling her now famous book marks. Several scheduled authors couldn't make the connection because of inclement weather in New York and points north, among them Donna Hill, Gwynne Forster, Angie Daniels, Nathasha Brooks-Harris, Marcia King-Gamble, et al. Those that supported this year's soiree gave notice that they wanted to be in place. As usual, I was there to meet, greet, and smooze with authors I have enjoyed platonically over the years.

I was able to see again J.M Jeffries, the duo of Miriam Pace and Jacqueline Hamilton who have always welcomed me warmly. Deirdre Savoy, whom I met for the first time in Dallas for last year's Black Writer's Reunion Conference dropped a bombshell and told everyone that she had given up smoking! I mention this because the two of us were lamenting then how harmful smoking could be to one's health. She by the way, gave a heartfelt, if not witty Keynote speech. It was a pleasure seeing Sabrina McAfee, the talented author of MATTERS OF THE HEART. I also met paranormal author Seressia Glass for the first time and found her to be most engaging and congenial of spirit. Evelyn Palfrey -- what can I say about this whimsical writer. I chuckle everytime I think of, and see her because of her penchant for telling good stories that have you splitting your sides! Evelyn, if you're reading this, I STILL owe you pictures from Dallas! Gwyneth Bolton, my BLOGGING IN BLACK columnist mate -- girl, you did it! I'm most happiest for this writer because I feel that we've yet to see what she can do with a pen, four Emma Awards notwithstanding.

Now, that crew from Chicago - namely Ann Clay, Dyanne Davis, and Barbara Keaton were downright party animals at the Emma Awards banquet. I know for a fact, anywhere music is being played Ann will shake a leg...she even got yours truly up for a round or two! The torch was passed to this group and we will be looking forward to Chicago's turn at the bat next year. All in all, RSJ is here to stay. I DO feel that changes must be made for it to truly be indicative of what we've always expected. The powers that be know what is at stake and what needs to be done. Some of romance's greatest authors were not in the house this year, or last year for that matter, and this could be attributed to various changes in their writing careers having moved on to mainstream priorities.

Is this conference gearing up for change? This is a matter of conjecture, and those that would want to participate will do so as a matte of choice. As for myself, I hope that they come back to add more seasoning to the mix. I will continue the support because this conference is mine -- I've adopted it, and no matter what goes on, I'm about finding soluble solutions for greater awareness in upholding this conferences' legacy. I hope you do too!

2 comments:

RM said...

Nice synopsis. Not as detailed as some you have published previously but it sounds as if a good time was had by all nonetheless. YOU were dancing? Thought Romer didn't dance. Somebody's been holding out. LOL! Next year Chicago. Sounds like fun!

Alvin C. Romer said...

Just to save face and not be viewed as a wimp, I HAD to do something! Besides, the floor was crowded and I just became one of many trying to keep pace with the beat! Nevertheless, you would have been proud of me.

You're right, this one a little tamed compared to others I've done, and for good reason. Perhaps on a subsequent telephone call I will elaborate. Thanks for responding...I always value your opinion.