Friday, March 23, 2007

Remember to Read to the Little Ones


Rarely am I at a loss for words, but recently while involved with the children I mentor, a young lass no more than 9-years old cornered me and told me how frustrating it was to her reading books and encountering words she didn’t understand. She pondered that for a moment and immediately whipped a book out of her book bag and asked me ever so politely would I read to her. You know I did…but the real story behind this story concerns me to the point that for every fourth-grader that approached me the way Rachel did, there are many more her age that do not have the opportunity to read and be read to.

The purpose of this essay is for us to be mindful of how and what we give the younger generation to ponder as they live and learn. I wanted to give examples and objectives to remind parents, individuals working with children, and other people interested in the welfare of kids just another premise to enhance effective child advocacy. I take an active part in family literacy, and as a matter of fact my non-profit organization partners with a local child advocacy group for interested adults to become more involved. Rachel’s poignancy and eager spirit overwhelmed me. I do not regret the decision to be an advocate for literacy in children. I stand as a beacon to their development in all things literary, the humanities, and their being the progenitors of our future. A child’s heart knows no limit in meting out unconditional love. Their playful demeanor often has no boundaries when it comes to me affording affection and catering to their penchant to say and do the darnest of things! Children tend to be innocent, precocious, and ever so naïve in our minds, though.

We coddle them and purport to give them the love and nurturing in preparing them for life’s growing pains. We see them, but have you ever wondered how they see YOU? Are you providing all the necessary examples for role model status? Are you living the type of lifestyle that you’d want them to follow…or for them to emulate what they see you do? When was the last time you read a bedtime story…or acquiesced to their badgering to read to them? Remember, if none of the above is prerequisites in your life, children will not do as you say, they will do what you do! They size us up and determine whether you are worthy of their time. The aforementioned happens without premeditation despite the ongoing rituals of parents teaching them to be wary of strangers.

Nevertheless, it’s us adults who at times are not doing the proper things to allow them to adhere to parental guidelines. Here’s hoping that somewhere down the line you reach out and touch a kid where they would feel and benefit from it most – from the pages of a book as you model and mentor to them!

No comments: