Saturday, November 1, 2008

Is the New President-Elect Allowed to Sleep?


Wanna know who won the presidential election? Okay, bear with me as I give you this opportunity to be clairvoyant. My crystal ball is clear. What you see in this picture is a man who prevailed and gave his country a chance for change -- something we could believe in. Yes, he earned it fair and square! President Barack Obama has run a brilliant and well-oiled campaign to gain the highest office in the world. He survived the overt head of racism as it rose time and time again; he withstood ridicule at the hands of conservatives, including a nasty in-family arrogance at the hands of the Clintons who surely thought they had the Black vote in their pockets; he overcame attacks on who, where, and why of pastoral pangs with the Jeremiah Wright malaise; then came the cartoonish Senator (McCain) and his pallid running mate Pallen. Suffice it to say, and contrary to the ills that has seemingly transformed the global pecking order, the president of the United States still resonates with significance. Who then, is this man so determined, so dominate and ever so determined? Was he indeed the best man for this office? You becha! Coming on slowly but steadily, he built his resume and applied sophomoric efforts that required perseverance and patience. This, despite the fact that life in Congress was not picnic, nor was it paved with with gold, like some yellow brick road. Yet he trudged on with an agenda. Here was a man undeterred and wasn't denied using tried and true measures that he embraced.  He survived up to this point by employing a work ethic that transcends moralistic value coupled with applications to change status quo.

To say that America need Barack Obama would truly be an understatement, but there's no understated pessimism that tints this man with much color and charisma. America is at its crossroads, and this country was faced with the most critical election in its history. Yes, our country is in a pickle, but with a chance to come out Kosher, even. George W. Bush is a farce and should have been impeached. Liar extraordinaire with a penchant for being a rhetorical wreck, the weapons of mass destruction are now aimed at the Republican party and poised to allow the American people why chance is inevitable.  We are reeling, and from where I sit in my community the change of the guard will reverberate with new optimism. The Iraqui war, the collapse of our financial system, a revamping of our educational system, millions of people without health insurance, and with serious attention needed to be paid to our industrial infrastructure are but a few challenges that face Obama. Can he pull it off? Yes, it can be done, and he will be challenged. it's time for a change, though and we're ready! 

In all of my 58 years I'm most proud of my constituents and common folk who eschewed passivity and voted! Moreover, I've never experienced the type of political interest and participation as I've witnessed in all phases of how this man was embraced. It forced people to see beyond their ignorances and demanded that multicultural makeup of many segments of our society display a needed and diverse way of thinking. It wholeheartedly attributes toward a consolidation of ideals. The new President brings a lot to the table. His cool demeanor harkens to a man who has responded like a true statesman with a style that is believable - well, like a president should! Now that we are out of the Bushes as it pertain to the wherewithal for a new lease on life, we the people need something that can help us turn the tide and gain a toe-hold for temperance. We are in an economic funk with decadence abounding and unabated. Now comes the brash and confident Senator from Chicago with a plan.  I feel confident myself that he has the intelligence and steady temperament needed to run this country. Witness how the aforementioned campaigns were were marked by patience, planning, discipline and organization.  When the crisis struck, he handled them with aplomb and gave one of the most poignant speeches demonstrating a profound respect for the electorate. 

Verbose he was, and not apologizing for it, his oratorical skill in my opinion was the center of his campaigns, and has returned eloquence to its essential place for good politics. Hearing my friends of other persuasions echoing disapproval, and championing the color of a mans skin rather than the content of his character rang true of the bells of discontent having a Black man for president.  My feelings are strong and opinionated about this whole affair. We've just transcended the threshold of history and the world should be rejoicing!  Think about it: the times have changed and we are changed with them.  We KNOW that these are perilous and troubled times. The annals of history has proven that we are a people of destiny and have survived because of, and not despite overt prosecution. We have weathered storms and have withstood being much maligned. But guess what? America needs this uplift amid the realism for change.  It most definitely needs a leader with intelligence  and a disposition that is emotionally attuned to our rapidly changing times. I can hear my ancestors at the turn of each century rising in their graves spurring us on. Booker T. Washington is in accord with W.E.B DuBois and Frederick Douglass is giving yet, another oratorical gem of a speech extolling our preeminence. Then there's Martin Luther King standing with reverence on the mountaintop (with God's blessings), with outstretched hands helping Marcus Garvey reach the height of his ideals. "Up you mighty race!" he proclaims. But I, an humble man of idealistic fortitude can be heard saying in my own vice -- "get over it America, and thanks for electing Barack Obama to serve in the Black House! God said that the first will be last, and the last will be first. That's enough for me, so be it!"

2 comments:

Kendra Norman said...

Alvin, I felt like I was in church, sitting in the pew, listening to a perspiring, hooping, preacher. I almost wanted to jump up and yell "You betta preach!!" :-)

You certainly have a flair for words. Very well said. My most ernest prayer is that President-Elect Obama allows himself to be led of God as he embarks on reversing the extensive damage that the last eight years of administration has blanketed upon our country. He has an uphill battle ahead, and it's not going to be easy. But if he puts his trust in God, everything will work out just fine.

We are definitely on the right path. I believe that with God on the throne, and with Obama in the White House, we are on the road to a better America.

And now, on a personal note...I had no idea you were 58. You look good, Alvin! Keep doing what you're doing.

Alvin C. Romer said...

LOL!! Girl, you got me in stitches! Me preach? You been talkin' to God? Kendra, what a combination - God on the throne and Obama in the Black House! LOL! Girl you have to know how passionate I am about writing. Expressionism seems to allow my pen no free rein when it comes to wit, words and wisdom. But yeah, I'm a young 58 and feel 20 years less than my age. But you know, I've always felt that age was mind over matter, and if you don't mind it really doesn't matter! A lot of times I don't reveal my age because I don't want people stereotyping me or judging me because of it.

But thanks for the kind words and compliment. Likewise, I respect and hold you in high esteem. If it's one person that I know believe in me and what I write it's you! I plan to keep the ink flowing as long as God is willing. Be blessed!

ACR