Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Straight Talk - Brotha To Brotha



This is the first installment of a new feature called Straight Talk - Brotha To Brotha. One of the things I've always wanted to see not only in the literary world, but also in society, where the brothers would bond more and play the role of models for their communities. They tend to step warily and not reach out as much as they should. Albeit, the African American male writer though are bridging gaps and telling poignant stories in another medium to get the job done. Men has made gargantuan strides over the last 20 years and is now beginning to bear fruit. Still a female dominated litany, publishing houses are always looking for men who write and can emote. Nowadays, male themes are prevalent and the male point of view is all-important now that the urban fiction market is garnering story lines from da hood! I feel that strong characters should be the mantra for any writer to excel.

To illustrate this, my feature this month is none other than Vincent Alexandria, writer extraordinaire, and consumate businessman. Mr. Alexandria commands respect relative to his out going personality and penchant for a no nonsensical style, which has a way of reverberating to his books. His upcoming new release, BLACK RAIN is a long anticipated novel that will be one of the summer's best efforts. I spoke to him recently as he shared a few poignant questions about he and his work:

  • In your opinion, what is the one crucial thing the publishing industry should do immediately concerning AA literature?
Give it the same exposure and payments they do their other authors with proper placement in all the bookstores. Don't put us in an African American section, but place us in our genre.
  • It's an old saying that you won't get rich as an author, but what are the gems that you've gleaned from panning the industry?
I learned the business and the respect of my peers. I love to write and I only want to be remembered 50 to a hundred years from now for a great story. I do want to be very comfortable as far as the money goes. Being rich causes problems. Just pay off all my bills. That's my goal. (LOL)
  • Who is the one author you admire(d) most, past or present?
Chester Himes. He died broke and did not get notoriety until he moved to Europe. He only got recognition as a genius in America once he died. I want my roses while I'm still alive. Donna Hill is my hero. She has written over 50 books and still writes for the love of it. She my friend and mentor and I respect her totally. She got me into the game. Walter Mosley is the reason I write mystery. He is a genius.
  • What would you like to tell us about BLACK RAIN, your latest book?
It has to be one of my greatest books. I really had fun the entire writing process. My mom died before the book was published so that really bummed me out. But I know she is watching done on me saying. "Job well done."

  • Let's talk about what has become your signature - The Brother 2 Brother Literary Symposium. What is its mission, and what do you envision for its future?
I envision a national tour and that we will affect literacy and be a asset in Black children graduating from high school and attending college. I want our community to be literate and dreams realized by all in our community. We promote reading and literacy and give away free books at the event. I'm looking forward to our Houston 5th Anniversary February 1-2, 2008.
  • What does the future hold for Vincent Alexandria within the next 3-5 years?
I want to have at least two of my book into films and be co-directing the movie and co-producing and have at least 15 books to my title including my children books. I will be married to my girlfriend who is also an author and Brother 2 Brother Literary Symposium will be a nationally known event.


No comments: