Thursday, May 17, 2007

In Memory Of A Literary Friend

This is in memory of a respected colleague of mine - Katherine D. Jones, the erudite and talented author. Ms Jones passed away yesterday (May 17) at her home in Texas. Of course she will be missed...and as I write this piece, my heart is heavy, and I'm not ashamed to admit that the tracks of my tears are still visible. The New Jerusalem will be a fitting place for all angels, with Katherine in that number, to be the final resting place. Yes, she was an angel in my eyes, and I’m reminded of our last conversation. It was here in Miami at the Romance Slam Jam Conference that she greeted me with a great big ole hug, and that million-dollar smile. Before I could get it out of my mouth she was talking about her boys, and her upcoming move to Germany, via her husband's military affiliation.

I first met Kathy several years ago in Atlanta, this before we started freelancing for the Dorchester Media group of erstwhile magazines, i.e., BRONZE THRILLS, JIVE, BLACK ROMANCE, TRUE CONFESSIONS, et al. The Romance Slam Conference for romance writers was common ground for familiarity, and we hooked up again in Dallas (2005), and again in Miami (2007). Author and Editor Nathasha Brooks-Harris assured that we had the best assignments and expected us to write like hell to be paid while writing for Dorchester! Katherine was no exception to that rule, and she wrote the best articles. I considered her to be a much more polished writer than I, and always told her so.

She definitely was a social butterfly and loved to discuss the writing of romance and putting her special flavor to the mix. Parker Publishing, LLC her latest publisher had grand plans to coincide with a new transitional stage for her and others writing for their NOIRE PASSION imprint. The author’s Special Corruption Unit series (SCU) was a fan favorite, consisting of novels Love Worth Fighting For and Worth the Wait, both published by the defunct BET Arabesque Books; Undercover Lover and the final book in the SCU series, Deep Down, published by Kensington/Dafina. Her third novel, Undercover Lover recently recognized in Essence Magazine as suggested reading for Valentine's Day 2006.

Katherine' fine novella, Gunns and Roses appeared in the Parker Publishing anthology, Cuffed by Candlelight, which was released in February of this year (2007). Dangerous Dilemmas, my favorite book by her, takes erotica suspense to an exciting new level. I recently reviewed this book and will make it available to the masses as you read this! Talking to the writer, she has always been modest about her writing ability, but I never shied away from telling her how much I appreciated being a writing mate while we were with Dorchester. She describes her writing as contemporary romance fiction with a twist, because she liked to give her readers an unexpected ride. Katherine, you are missed already, and the ride was anything but unexpected! The author leaves a loving husband and two precious boys. Supporting this author posthumously wouldn't be a bad idea. Katherine, we love you!
Note: Parts of Katherine's BIO and adjunct information is credited to her publisher, Parker Publishing, LLC

17 comments:

RM said...

Alvin, What a fitting tribute to your colleague and friend. I've not read her work but since you mentioned titles in your tribute; I will definitely purchase her completed works to read for myself. It's sad when a talent is snuffed out so soon, friends are left to ponder what if? At least her work lives on for all to enjoy. ~RM

Yasmin said...

Wow...APOOO just reviewed her latest work...so sorry to hear that's passed over. May she RIP!
xoxo

LaShaunda said...

Alvin,

What a lovely tribute. I will miss her so.

LaShaunda

Deatri King-Bey said...

Bravo Alvin.

Katherine was such a great person. I'm grateful for the times we shared.

Peace
Deatri

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Alvin,

This is a wonderful tribute and fitting of a truly remarkable woman. I still can't believe that she's gone. Thank you for sharing your memories of Katherine with us.

Gwyneth

Shelia said...

Alvin, this was a nice tribute. I'm still in shock. The tears are still coming. She will be missed by her family, friends and fans.

Keren C. said...

Beautiful tribute of Katherine. Alvin I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray that her family gets through this. I've read a few of her books and enjoyed them. I will definitely look for her other books to purchase.

Anonymous said...

Alvin,

That was a beautiful tribute, I throughly enjoyed reading her books. I will keep her family and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

Tiffany

Kim Robinson said...

She has gone on home to be in heaven,I have to believe that she is with God and happy. We will miss her
KimR

Alvin C. Romer said...

I want to thank you all for giving your heartfelt comments. You know, death has always been painted with dark colors, and sadness as a backdrop. But the canvas can be illuminated with the brightness of the Lord's promise of a better home. I have no doubt that Katherine is humming along and dancing to David's Psalms and Solomon's wise counsel. Weep not, for she is in good hands!

It's friends like you that she always gravitated toward, for we were family in a literal and pen-worthy way. Things are write for her, and we can now rejoice knowing that Agape love has been bestowed on her! Keep Kathy in your spirits as you continue to write and keep ink flowing. She would want it that way!

bettye griffin said...

I will always regret that I never had a chance to meet Katherine in person after corresponding with her via e-mail. Your words make a worthy tribute for someone I considered to be a fine human being. Many of us have been shaken to the core by her sudden departure from this life.

I must point out that while BET Books is defunct, Arabesque Books are not. BET sold its publishing interests to Harlequin, who continues to publish the original lines plus a few others.

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Alvin,
Thanks for sharing a part of Ms. Jones to those of us who hadn't had the pleasure of meeting her. Your love and admiration flowed through your words. My thoughts and prayers go out the the family and friends of Ms. Jones.

Love & Peace,
VeeJay

Sylvia Hubbard said...

it's nice to know your loving words that you've shared with us have brought me close to a person I have never met.

Katherine sounded like a wonderful person, and I'm upset that I never got the honor to meet her and know her more.

Bless you Alvin for givng her the wings. Your spirit is beautiful!

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt tribute, thanks for sharing with us,

blessings
angelia

Sean D. Young said...

Alvin,

You are such a wonderful friend.

It really is important how we live our lives. We never know what kind of influence and effect we have on other peoples lives.

I didn't know Katherine personally, but after reading your warm tribute, it seems she was a kind person and will be sorely missed. We all need to take the comments Katherine's husband published on her website and live our dream whatever it is.

Unknown said...

What a wonerderful tribute Alvin.

*RONI*

Miriam said...

Alvin, thank you so much for your loving tribute on Katherine. She was definitely a special person.

The shock of losing Katherine has still not totally sunk in, but I do know she has created a huge hole in all our lives. At the time of her passing, she and I were talking about her move to Germany and the workshop she would be giving in Italy next October. She wanted to take promotional material regarding Parker Publishing and we talked about what I could send. When I said I needed to research on how to send the promotion materials to Italy, she laughed and told me to send to her. She'd just pack everything with her household stuff and take it with her to Germany and then hand carry everything to the conference in Italy.

Katherine was a warm, generous person. I will miss her.

Miriam Pace
Parker Publishing llc