Thursday, May 17, 2007

They Voted Her Off, And I'm Boycotting American Idol!

I’m an unabashed Melinda Doolittle fan. I recognize talent when I see it. When being the best is not good enough, you know something is amiss. Lessons learned in the voting process and mainstream America’s finicky and unpredictable habits of voting along racial lines are legendary, if not status quo. Okay, are there anyone out there who agrees with me that Blake has no place among the final contestants for America’s Idol? Am I alone in my thoughts that this guy should have been gone long ago…and finally, is mainstream America so deaf and blind that they can’t hear good vibes, and see dynamic stage presence? This to me was the most blatant show of inaccurate judgment this show has demonstrated. American Idol is an anathema for giving credence where it’s due, and truly voting in a perceptive way, and with allowing discernible options to be more prevalent than voting along racial and ethnic. How can the best singer end up with the least amount of votes?

Damn it, do the right thing and vote with honest appeal and with the preservation of mind that talent is talent and shouldn’t be compromised with any of the aforementioned angst. Melinda Doolittle and Jordin Sparks can flat out sing, as well as LaKisha Jones who felt the sting of unjust judging herself. To make a case whether Blake should be there poising to win arguably will be debated long after I settle down and allow my heart and mind to get back to normal. Yes, they voted her off, and I’m boycotting American Idol! Why boycott you ask? I'm boycotting for the same reason how unequal playing fields permeate our society and good judgment goes fallow in lieu of calling a spade a spade...with no puns intended. This goes beyond mere racial alignments, and in Melinda's case, she just may have been simply too 'old'. Old or young, talent is talent.

American Idol needs an overhaul, including replacing two of the three celebrity judges. Believe it or not, I like Simon. He adds grit, welcomed controversy, and an abrasive demeanor that’s good for the show in an iconic way. Iconic because this show would not survive without rancor and a bit of consternation that Simon supplies with his twisted wit and British accent! Paula Abdul in my opinion is an airhead, gullible, and doesn’t give enough intrusive commentary when needed most. Moreover, her problems outside of the arena have done more damage in my opinion to usurp any credible reason for her to continue. Lastly, Randy Jackson is a misnomer. He’s not really the REAL Randy Jackson at that. Suffice it to say though, I‘ve always felt that the judges needed an industry veteran as part of the overall makeup, but sure whether Randy was the right choice.


Nonetheless, American Idol needs a change of décor and a better way to adequately and fairly judge contestants based on talent, charisma, and stage presence and not on the whims of the public. I feel too, that technical merit and professional feel for all the things that are inherent for success cannot and shouldn’t be left for the public to have final decisions on. This is NOT the end of her road. Her distinguished professional experience, expressive vocals and near unblemished run on "Idol," the judges sent Doolittle off with assurances from me and countless others that her career has just begun. I feel that she already have made it, Idol results notwithstanding. Alas, she bows out graciously joining the list of singers whose surprising exits before the finale were temporary stumbling blocks on the way to their eventual success. You have not heard the last from this songbird. Clive, where are you?!!

3 comments:

RM said...

Alvin, I couldn't have stated this better myself. Sadly, my family wasn't too surprised that such a talented young lady was voted off. However, as you stated so eloquently, Ms. Doolittle is headed for success...much like Jennifer Hudson. What is American Idol's loss is the American public's gain because we now know her name.

The franchise would have benefited greatly financially had Ms. Doolittle won the competition. It's been said that "Success is the best revenge" well hang on because we are about to witness Ms. Doolittle's success. ~Rm

Keren C. said...

I agree with you 100 percent. Melinda was robbed of that title. She definitely should be in the top two, not Blake. She will shine with or without American Idol. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Blake took the title. People are voting for the wrong reasons. I voted faithfully and I was upset when Melinda got voted off.

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

I thought I was in the minority when I too said I was boycotting AI. My son thinks I've taken it too personal that Melinda was voted off. I too believe that she will have a great career in music and I'll certainly be one of the first in line to buy her CD when it's released. I sure wish 'My Funny Valentine is one of the cuts on it. She gave me goosebumps when she sang that song. It was the equivilent to Fantasia singing Summertime, and yep, I bought her album based on that one song, although I truly did enjoy the entire CD.

Love & Peace,
VeeJay