Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Haiti On My Mind


Adam Petrillo, an avid reader of the Miami Herald daily newspaper wrote a timely and poignant op-ed piece that caught my attention. I echo his sentiments relative to how fragile our infrastructure is and how likely when we least expect it can become victims much like the people of Haiti. I'm sharing with you his slant along with my paraphrasing to illustrate a viable point: Lest you forget Katrina, God brings attention to that which are destined for change. The challenges we face as the world fathoms Haiti's lamentations, there's much work to be done. I'm convinced like New Orleans before her, that Haiti will not only rebound but wear her new found success with pride! We're not far removed from this tragedy, which brings me to the gist of this essay -- we're all in this together. We cannot ignore the turmoil, nor turn the other cheek for we are all Haitians. There was a scene in the movie Starman where the alien character, played by Jeff Bridges asks the character played by Karen Allen, "Do you know what I find beautiful about your species?" He pauses for a pregnant moment and tells her, "You are at your best when things are worst." This is how I feel now, and how I also feel that others should be as we endeavor to do our individual and collective parts to help this embattled nation.

As the horrific state of affairs continue to plague Haiti, we must continue to remind ourselves that we are all just one disaster away form being Haitians and do everything possible to help our brothers and sisters in their time of need. The 9-11 fiasco is a further reminder of how chaos can grip us and affect our fragile psyches. We never know when terrorists will strike. The frailty of human life transcends race, creed, color or nationality. I had the honor of working in Haiti, and even at one time was married to a proud and ambitious Haiti woman who bore me a loving son. I'm extricably tied to that country in more ways than one. I live in the 'Little Haiti' section of Miami and being among the people further galvanize my love for their culture. Their spirit is indomitable and their propensity to share with others and show kindness and love to strangers is almost boundless. Needless to say it aches my heart to see the destruction and maladies of a people struggling to eke out a living.

Even if you have never met a Haitian or know little of the country or culture, remind yourself that as God's children, "we are all Haitians." There is a popular expression in Creole -- Dieu donne, which literally means 'God gives'. I will continually ask all able-bodied Americans, especially those that look like me to do God's bidding and give any way you can. The silver lining is that the world has a chance to make Haiti right and turn the tables on America's racist Immigration policy toward a positive gain for people of color looking for a new lease on life. It must be rebuilt correctly -- and it can be done only if we all pull together and do all that we can to help because to sit by idly and not care, is a sure epithet to misfortune that may be yours someday!

No comments: