Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Soul of A Man


The soul of a Black man should be profound and practical should someone ask about content and character. The depths that are ours, deep within our psyche are the volumes of consciousness that make us who we are. We are men of color - Black men tried, true and transient at times. We are who we are because time has shaped our mindsets and given us definitive stereotypes that we are still endeavoring to grip for positive results. We are constantly being asked - what is it that makes us the way we are? My response is simple. I tell them I am who I am and iniquity has given me my lease on life to have changed and tell a GOOD story!

Early on I knew my destiny, but had problems accepting it and making it the entity that would give me confidence. I kept a store inside of me, as I kept my emotions captive. I was shy and introspective and lacked verve and vivacity to allow me to be open with my thoughts. I was told that I was sensitive, and I grew to believe it seeing much around me succumb to my penchant for change. I got the chance after enlisting in the military and attending college. I came away intact and armed with new truths that shaped me as a man. I saw the world, met people of stature, married, had kids, and have run businesses. I am the man that time created. I am a writer!

All my adolescent years became a portrait of me framed for the notion of telling stories and being good at it. I began to write and envisioned becoming an author. I thought putting my thoughts on paper would be a nice life but never stopped dreaming. I studied hard, researched on my own, read laboriously for information on all things literary. And in the interim I learned HOW to write; I paid close attention to how specific writers wrote their stories, especially language and sentence structure; I took a few writing courses, but mainly I gained a penchant for talking to those that I'd befriended along the way. What's inside MY bears witness to a world of expressionism that is opinionated and quite open.

The career I’ve carved learning to be a respected as a journalist and freelance writer is best exemplified in my view from the catbird seat. That’s my voice viewing life as I see it as wit, words, and the wisdom thereof. The road that I and my brothers travel is not an easy one. What are we thinking about then? What else is on the minds of men? Our minds are not idle, and my mind is full and reverberating. I’m a conversationalist at heart and will talk to anyone willing to debate realism vs. ambiguity. I've always wanted to run as fast as I could to the finish line of life, where God would be there to shake my hand and say, “well done my faithful servants” I want to be deserving of this, because I do not want to see women continuing to be the head of households, and where my community is not run by matriarchy. I want my young folk to take inventory of their lives so that self, family and community are interwoven for sustained awareness. I want black-on-black crime to cease for Agape Love to permeated using a sense of connectivity, commitment and the commission of good intent.

My soul is my temple and my spiritual being is alive bubbling to the top waiting to explode! I'm striving for inner peace and ways to teach my children for the next generation. I want us Black men to finally get it together so that we are inferior to no one and that we have balanced the scales. I would want you to know me as I am!

No comments: